Monday, July 19, 2010

Home and Home Series??



This year on the WKU schedule marks the start of a four game series with our in-state rival the Kentucky Wildcats. The deal includes two games at Commonwealth Stadium in 2010/2012 and two games at LP Field in Nashville in 2011/2013. This is financially a great deal for both schools and Western will benefit by splitting the ticket gate sales for the games played at LP Field and getting paid $500,000 for the two trips to Lexington.

However, from a fan's perspective I am disappointed to see the potential of having a couple of great home games against Kentucky taken away. By having an in-state rival like the Wildcats come to L.T. Smith Stadium would be HUGE for WKU and its fan base here in Bowling Green and the surrounding area. Don't get me wrong, I love Nashville and watching the games at LP Field is still going to be a cool experience but as a fan I'd rather see the Cats in our house.

I attended the first meeting at Lexington back in the 08-09 season and remember the buzz leading up to the game. Western printed up t-shirts for the game which I saw plenty of Topper fans wearing as we tailgated. I remember the only offensive highlight for the Tops was a 50+ yard bomb by our kicker as we lost 41-3. Despite the loss, it was a great experience to be there for the inaugural contest. I wish the series would make its way to Bowling Green but college football is a business no matter how unfortunate it is for the fans sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment